What is the MARAC Development Programme?
On 1 July 2012, our MARAC Development Programme was launched nationally, making it available for the first time to all MARACs operating across England and Wales. This national launch follows the programme's pilot in three regions during 2011-2012.
The programme provides support and resources to help MARACs improve their effectiveness so that all high-risk victims of domestic abuse receive a consistent, quality response. It has been funded by the Home Office until 2015.
Every MARAC is supported by one of CAADA's dedicated MARAC Development Officers. The officers provide one-to-one support to MARAC Chairs, Coordinators and IDVA Service Managers, as well as being a single point of contact for local Domestic Abuse and Violence against Women and Girls Coordinators.
With the support of your local MARAC Development Officer, the programme offers:
Practical support for MARACs and frontline professionals
- Proactive support and advice via phone calls, emails and meetings with Chairs, Co-ordinators and IDVA Service Managers.
- Latest practice resources for professionals involved in MARACs.
- Access to our MARAC database to help you make MARAC to MARAC referrals.
- Advice from our helpdesk in response to your questions about practice or governance.
- A special MARAC edition of eNews, our regular enewsletter, to keep you updated about news from the sector, best practice, new resources, policy developments, interviews and analysis.
Performance management tools for MARACs and strategic groups
- Performance data updates about your MARAC at a local, regional and national level, delivered every quarter.
- Support for areas to develop their MARAC through a Self Assessment framework. Participating MARACs and their steering/strategic groups will have access to a framework to monitor performance; review the process locally; identify regional performance trends; identify actions to develop; and evidence outcomes from the MARAC process.
- Latest research studies and evaluation of MARACs and IDVA services.
Sharing best practice
- Networking events for MARAC Chairs, Co-ordinators and IDVA Service Manager to share learning and best practice.
- Support to identify and develop special projects by MARACs to address locally priorities or performance issues
Support with policy and governance
- Representing the needs of MARACs and your partners to the National MARAC Steering Group and national government.
- Help with demonstrating the value of your MARAC to the MARAC steering or strategic groups, as well as other local strategic bodies including Police and Crime Commissioners, clinical commissioning groups, Health and Wellbeing Boards and Local Safeguarding Children's Boards.
- Support in making the case for funding and resourcing, to achieve better representation at meetings and more effective information-sharing.
To find out more about the MARAC Development programme in your area, contact your local MARAC Development Officer.
Back to Information about MARAC